Home features that can save you money
During your home search, it’s important to consider the ongoing costs of ownership. In addition to peace of mind, homes with safety features may have lower insurance costs. Here are some features that can save you money.
- Close proximity to a fire department – Living near firefighters provides you with faster response times in case of an emergency.
- Fire-resistant roof – Some roofing material is designed specifically to be fire-resistant and can help prevent or slow fires from spreading.
- New electrical system – Newer heating and electrical systems are efficient and more compliant with modern safety codes.
- Security system – Home security systems not only offer peace of mind for protection in an emergency, but they also deter thieves from entering your home.
You can also save money with these eco-friendly home features.
- High-efficiency air and heating systems – New HVAC systems have computerized thermostats and quality insulation to help lower your utility bills.
- Tankless water heaters – These water heaters heat instantly without the use of a storage tank, which means you’re not spending money to continually heat your water tank.
- Drought-tolerant landscaping – Homes with native and drought-tolerant plants minimize the need for watering.
- Updated windows and insulation – Homes with large and numerous windows provide natural lighting, and newer, insulated windows that are properly sealed help keep your home comfortable and reduce the need for heat and air conditioning.
There’s a lot to consider when buying a home—hope you find value in these tips!
Learn more about mortgages on our Mortgage Resources web page.